Friday, July 2, 2010

The Pleasures of Gin

It's summer, and there's nothing as refreshing and satisfying as cold gin cocktails.

I'm a big fan of Plymouth Gin, but also occasionally enjoy Cork Dry Gin from Ireland and regular label Bombay. I do not like Hendrick's or Tangueray in the slightest. The ubiquitous Bombay Sapphire is smooth, but the 94 proof is a bit wicked, even for me.

Martinis aside, I love summer gin drinks. Gin and tonic, of course. Gin Rickeys, which I have been drinking lately, is a classic summertime cooler. The Rickey is easy enough: gin, lime juice, simple syrup, topped off with cold seltzer. It's a popular drink in Manhattan these days, and I love it at Wilfie & Nell's in the Village.

New to me is the Pink Gin, which I have been experimenting at home with. Three ounces of Plymouth Gin, 3-4 dashes of Angostora Bitters, shaken over ice, and served straight up. Beautiful.

The classic Gin and Tonic is perhaps the most refreshing, and best served strong (just a dash or two of tonic), and very cold. The tonic water must be from a bottle; and a drop of fresh lime is always nice. Tom Collins is blast from the past - my parents drank swimming pools full of them in those hot California summers. The Collins is essentially the same as a Rickey but with lemon juice instead of lime. Beware of those bottled mixers - they're truly nasty. Last but not least, is another drink from my California days: Gin and real lemonade. Drink the first one with nothing else, but afterward, a splash of club soda helps cut the sweetness. Cheers, it's summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment