Tuesday, August 24, 2010

PARC BISTRO in Philadelphia

Finally made it to Stephen Starr's homage to the chic brasseries of Paris, Parc Bistro on Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia. Well, my first impression was that is really more of an homage to Keith McNally's bustling French bistros in Manhattan, because the decor and vibe is essentially identical. The menu - and I am not complaining - was the same as Balthazar or Pastis in New York.

I arrived for Sunday brunch and the dining room was jam packed. I got a seat at the bar and ordered a French 75 cocktail and immediately struck up a conversation with a very nice guy about baseball. Unfortunately the bar staff was not so friendly, and the service was genuinely poor throughout my stay. Too busy to be attentive. But the food was superb - French onion soup to begin. My entire was steak and eggs off the brunch menu: petite filet, mornay sauce, crisp slices of french bread, and two perfectly cooked eggs, sunnyside up. Every bite was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, as the service continued to falter, the overall experience at Parc Bistro did, too. It is really shame, and I hope that will be reversed on my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment