Friday, March 26, 2010

ARNAUD'S FRENCH 75 BAR in New Orleans

This may be the best cocktail bar in New Orleans. It may also be one of the best cocktail bars in America. Normally I'm in residence at The Old Absinthe House on Bourbon Street, but on my most recent trip to the Big Easy, I spent some time in Arnaud's French 75 Bar. It looks like it has been around forever, but in fact has only been open since 2008. Cigars are sold and patrons are welcome to smoke. Believe me, it's been a long time since I've seen bartenders whip out their lighters to fire up cigarettes for folks at the bar. But smoking aside, the place is absolutely gorgeous. Amber lighting, soft New Orleans jazz, no television. And some of best Creole food in town is available from Arnaud's next door.

Behind the bar is mixologist extraordinaire Chris Hannah, widely regarded as one of the best bartenders in New Orleans. On my first visit last Christmas, I walked in and he was elaborately preparing an authentic Tom and Jerry - whisking away at the cream in a huge copper bowl behind the bar. I was astounded with the care and preparation he put in to it. He's a soft-spoken guy - polite, professional, and a real master at making drinks. I was lucky to get to know him after a couple of visits, and discovered that he's not only a student of spirits and cocktail history, he's a great storyteller and conversationalist. (Full disclosure: he really opened up when I brought in a fresh chocolate praline from a private party catered by Chef Paul Prudhomme).

The bar's namesake drink is the classic French 75, a refreshing blend of gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, and champagne. The French 75 is frequently made with cognac instead of gin - afterall, it was named after the French 75mm field gun, a popular weapon of World War I. Chris serves it either way.

The cocktail list is thrilling, and topping my list is the Curari.

Here's the recipe:

2 oz. rye
3/4 oz. ruby port
3/4 oz. Amaro Cora
2 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters #6

And here's Chris Hannah bringing the joy.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment