Wednesday, December 8, 2010

P.J. CLARKE'S: A New York State of Mind

After all these years, P.J. Clarke's is a classic New York saloon that just keeps getting better and better. The bar is simply one of the best in Manhattan, no question about it. But like all good watering holes, it's all about the atmosphere. P.J. Clarke's manages to draw interesting people from near and far, whether they're European tourists or locals. Yes, it's always crowded, but I always seem to find a seat somehow. The bartenders, particulary Gerry on the dayshift weekdays, and Doug in the evening, are old-school and first rate. They serve me martinis with Plymouth gin and Manhattans with Michtners Rye, and they are perfect every time. There's a full menu and big dining room in back (even an oyster bar now) but the smart money has it on the cheeseburger and french fries - truly delicious and never disappoints. The jukebox is one of the best in New York - I loved it when Sinatra or Bennett are swinging loud and proud, but when it's my turn, I'll usually play Roy Orbison, just to hear the crowd sing along. No matter how often I drop in, it never seems to be often enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment